Sparkler and Fireworks Safety
More than 50,000 fires are caused by fireworks every year. Take the proper precautions when operating fireworks.
- Never disassemble or try to make your own fireworks.
- Don’t point sparklers, or fireworks at yourself or others, especially while they’re being lit.
- Only light fireworks on the ground and in areas that are dry and fire resistant.
- Don’t attempt to light multiple devices at the same time.
- Never allow young children to handle fireworks or sparklers.
- Always keep a portable fire extinguisher close by. Also keep a water hose or buckets of water nearby to put out fires.
July is one of the peak months for grilling fires. Enjoy grilling your favorite meals this summer while also keeping your family safe.
- Check gas grill hoses for cracks, holes and leaks.
- Keep children away from grills. Gas leaks, blocked tubes, and propane tanks can be a cause of grill fires and explosions.
- Never grill indoors, in the garage, in any enclosed area or on a surface that might catch fire.
- Keep the grill at least two feet away from decks, siding, branches and any outdoor equipment that can catch fire quickly.
If you follow these simple 4th of July safety tips, your entire family will be sure to have a safe and memorable holiday.